While there are many approaches to ensuring your immune system is in tip-top shape, it’s always best to take a preventative approach. That said, there are some foods, techniques, supplements, foods, and vitamins that can be taken to help support a strong foundation.
Below, we have listed some of the best ways you can work towards boosting and supporting your immune system to get you on track to be your healthiest self!
How a Healthy Immune System Functions
Let’s start by going over the basics of how the immune system works. Consider the immune system, your body’s natural defense system that protects your body against harmful substances, germs, and cell changes that make you sick.
If your immune system is healthy, it will typically work to create a barrier and produce white blood cells to destroy any harmful foreign bodies to keep you healthy. Bacteria and viruses can overwhelm the body if your immune system is depleted. This often results in you getting sick.
The Immunity and Gut Bacteria Link
Did you know that immunity can be directly linked to your gut health? That’s right! A majority of your immune system actually lives in your gastrointestinal tract. What does this mean? A healthy gut can support a healthy immune system.
Foods to Help Boost your Immunity
If you want a healthy immune system, you should aim to focus on anti-inflammatory foods for your gut. Ahead, we rounded up a few different foods that we know your gut flora and your immune system will love:
1. Dark Leafy Greens: Dark, leafy greens are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals that signal our body’s immune system. There are also a million ways to prepare them from salads to sandwiches, juices, and more!
2. Garlic: Immune-boosting garlic has several antiviral and antibiotic properties that act as an antibiotic against infections. For optimal benefits, consuming garlic on a regular basis helps lower cholesterol!
3. Berries: Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries - you name it! Berries are known to pack a powerful antioxidant punch to help keep your body’s immune system's ability to fight strong!
4. Mushrooms: For centuries, mushrooms have been used to aid the immune system thanks to their medicinal properties. They are high in antioxidants, can fight free-radical formation, and protect the body's supply of mitochondria. Try sautéing them or add a powder form to your coffee or protein shake.
5. Quality Oils: High-quality oils like cold-pressed extra-virgin oil and avocado oil have plenty of health benefits, including their anti-inflammatory properties (unlike typical store-bought Canola and vegetable oils) Perfect for cooking, these oils also include essential fatty acids and Vitamin E.
Supplements to Help Boost your Immunity
There are a variety of immune-boosting ingredients out there, and one of the best ways to ensure you are taking advantage of them is through supplements!
Hush and Hush’s ShieldUp supplement is an easy-to-swallow daily supplement packed with the top essential ingredients known for supporting and boosting immune system function. That's right—no mystery ingredients, this vegan, the plant-based formula contains 500 mg of Vitamin C, adaptations like Rhodiola Rosea root, maca root, turmeric, and organic antioxidants to minimize inflammation, boost energy levels, and keep you happy and healthy all year round!