Think you’re too busy to treat your skin? If you love to care for your body by hitting the weights, or your yoga mat, or both, performing a daily skincare routine may seem like just another to-do list item to try and squeeze in.
If you regularly break a sweat, it can be especially important to stay on top of the essentials for maintaining skin health. However, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are a few tips for keeping it simple and getting a perfect post-workout glow:
Before You Work Out...
- Give your skin rest and active days
One way to keep up with your skincare is to schedule it just like you would your workouts. Make it a priority by putting it on your calendar, to-do list, or in your day planner.
Also, remember that your skin, just like the rest of your body, needs a balance of active and resting days. Get “active” a few times per week with deep cleansing, exfoliating, or masking but be careful not to overdo it, and give your epidermis a break on other days, using only gentle products.
Take your go-to routine to-go
Another easy hack to set yourself up for skincare success is to always pack your daily essentials before heading to the gym. Most skincare lines offer travel kits or sample-size versions of your favorite products, so you can easily toss them in your gym bag.
Although some fitness studios may offer complimentary products for you on-site, it’s a good idea to pass on these and stick to what you know will work for your skin.
During Your Workout…
- Stay super hydrated - As you likely already know, the skin loves H2O. However, working up a sweat is one of the easiest ways to become dehydrated without realizing it. When this happens, your body systems - including the skin - can also become depleted and start to struggle.
To avoid this, be sure to always bring a water bottle with you and drink up often. The quicker you replace lost fluids following an intense workout, the faster your skin will bounce back and be able to stay glowing.
- Bring and use your own towel - While getting your heart rate up, it’s inevitable that your pores will begin to release perspiration. However, you’ll want to resist the urge to touch your face or wipe away sweat with just any old item that’s close at hand.
Because harsh fabrics can scratch or damage the skin, a good practice is to bring your own clean, soft, towel, and use it to blot away sweat as needed. Look for gentle fabrics and also avoid just wiping with your workout clothes, as this can spread more bacteria.
After You Work Out…
- Shower and wash your face - The most important thing to do post-workout is to hit the showers. If you’re feeling wiped, it can be tempting to sit in sweaty clothes, but your best bet is to get clean ASAP. During feats of fitness, perspiring will cause dirt, debris, and other bacteria to be sweat out of the pores and onto the surface of the skin. In order to avoid a breakout or body acne, cleansing with a hydrating wash is a must. You don’t need to exfoliate or do an aggressive routine. Just getting the skin freshly clean and moisturizing afterward should be perfect.
- Supplement smart - Just as you would fuel your body with a nourishing snack or protein shake to feed your muscles, it’s equally important to feed your skin.For giving your complexion a clarifying and balancing boost of plant-based nutrition, Hush & Hush’s SkinCapsule CLEAR+ was created to provide daily support for the skin. Ingredients like Vitamin A, Zinc, and Selenium address struggling skin by calming inflammation and fighting breakout activity.